By DiAnn Mills @DiAnnMills
Our best friends love us despite our faults. They are our 2:00 a.m. friends. They listen to us when we’re ecstatic and comfort us when we think our lives have been flushed down the toilet.
And we are there for them too because that’s what best friends do. Statistics show best friends often overlook each other’s mistakes and don’t want to hurt the other.
- A best friend always tells the truth about how we look.
“Your hair is always styled great, but when it’s shorter, you look younger.”
“That dress works for your daughter, and I know you’re tickled about wearing her size, but for women our age I suggest something a little longer.”
- A best friend finds humor in almost everything. She knows when to laugh and isn’t afraid of poking fun at herself.
- A best friend is able to say no.
“I know it’s important for you to call me as soon as you get home from work. But that’s the time my kids get in from school, and it’s important for me to find out about their day. Can we schedule another time?”
- A best friend often sees our pain and anguish before anyone else and encourages us to seek help: mental, physical, or spiritual.
- A best friend possesses integrity. She doesn’t gossip or reveal things told to her in confidence.
- A best friend practices the art of listening. She’s slow to give advice and chooses her words carefully.
- A best friend prays for us. It doesn’t matter to her what our spiritual convictions may be, she loves us unconditionally.
- A best friend speaks her mind in love. If there’s a disagreement, she moves forward to help resolve it.
- A best friend tells us when we’re wrong.
“I know you’re upset with your hubby right now, but I think talking through the situation with him is a better option than giving him the silent treatment.”
- A best friend understands our good intentions, no matter how badly we fail.
“I know you want your son to make good grades, but another approach might inspire him. I’m afraid your criticism is damaging his self-esteem.”
DiAnn’s Library Corner
Librarian – Our pets are our best friends. Consider a display of your patron’s pets. Post photos along with book recommendations.